Delhi-Agra highway choked with devotees
Mathura: The Delhi-Agra national highway has been choked for the last three days as devotees of a local spiritual leader make their way on foot and in packed buses and trucks for a four-day religious discourse that ends on Friday.
The followers of Baba Jai Gurudev have been coming to his grand white Naam Yog Sadhna Mandir here from across Uttar Pradesh, especially the eastern districts, and Bihar.
"They have come walking, in overcrowded buses, in trucks, or whatever other mode of transport is available for the Baba`s 62nd annual Bhandara. The four-day `satsang` (discourse) will continue till Friday," said Indramani, who had come from Bahraich district with a busload of Baba`s followers.
The road is jammed with traffic for most part of the day and late evenings, causing delays for many tourists bound for Agra.
"To cross just a kilometre of the highway opposite the Naam Yog Sadhna Mandir, could take anything between an hour or two," said Ramesh, a taxi driver who was ferrying foreign tourists.
The Baba apparently has a huge following right from the MID-1970s.
Men, women and children, guided by `swayam sevaks` or temple volunteers stand in long queues, waiting for their turn to enter the temple, according to eyewitnesses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum