Delhi gang-rape: Protests continue in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Demonstrations to protest against the gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman in Delhi, continued on Sunday with youths and students staging a dharna near the Chief Minister residence here.
A number of students and youths took out a procession from GPO park and reached the CM residence on Kalidas Marg passing through Raj Bhawan.
Near CM residence they staged a dharna demanding to meet CM Akhilesh Yadav. The protesters said the government must ensure security of women and the speedy trial of pending rape cases in the state.
When the administration officials attempted to pacify the protesters, they had an altercation with them after which police forcibly evicted the road.
Meanwhile, a number of processions were taken out in the city condemning the Delhi incident and demanding capital punishment to the accused.
Reports of similar protests were received from the other parts of the state.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said that the accused of Delhi rape case should get stern punishment.
In a reply to a question Akhilesh said that everyone was grieved with the incident and it was a "heinous" crime.
He said the government and officers concerned should work with full responsibility in such "sensitive" matters.
"The accused should get punishment and a harsh one," he said.
When asked about police action on protesters in Delhi, Akhilesh said that all those, who participated in the demonstrations, were demanding stern punishment against the accused and even capital punishment.
"And the government has also assured in this regard," he said.
He said demonstrations and dharnas were also held in UP and it was the effort of the government that during such protest force and tear gas was not used.
A group of women also staged a protest outside the Raj Bhawan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?