Delhi Metro services to Ghaziabad begin
New Delhi: The much awaited Delhi Metro services from Anand Vihar in east Delhi to Vaishali in Uttar Pradesh`s Ghaziabad district started Thursday morning, an official said.
"The extension of the stretch will help the passengers from the large residential area of Vaishali. They can access the Metro and can look forward to a more comfortable and reduced travel time," said Anuj Dayal, spokesperson of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC).
The stretch brings Delhi closer to Ghaziabad, he said.
Ghaziabad has become the third centre in the National Capital Region to be connected to Delhi Metro after Gurgaon in Haryana and Noida, in Uttar Pradesh.
According to the DMRC, Dwarka Sector 21 to Vaishali will become the second longest corridor of the Delhi Metro network with a route length of approximately 46 km.
Dwarka Sector 21 to Noida corridor is the longest stretch of the Metro network at 49 km.
"The frequency (of trains) would be 5 minutes 34 seconds and around 40,000 passengers are expected to travel on the section daily," Dayal said.
The travel time between Dwarka Sector 21 to Vaishali will be 81 minutes and 22 seconds. The total number of stations on the route are 41. The minimum fare is Rs.8 while maximum is Rs.30.
"Metro extension to Vaishali has made a huge difference by reducing travel time. Instead of waiting for bus to reach Anand Vihar Metro station, now I can easily travel to my destination," said Sadhana Ramesh, a resident of Vaishali who works in Connaught Place.
The Vaishali Metro is an extension of the 35 km Dwarka-Yamuna Bank corridor.
Delhi Metro was operating 56 trains in this corridor. With the Ghaziabad line, it has increased up to 58.
Delhi Metro runs around 2,000 train trips and ferries more than 16 lakh passengers every day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof