Democracy strong, people will not tolerate a dictator: Akhilesh
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday asserted that the foundation of democracy in the country is very strong, and the people will not allow a dictator to flourish in the system.
Releasing a documentary `Apaatkaal ke Mahanayak` on the eve of 38th anniversary of imposition of emergency in the country, Akhilesh said people will always remember the contribution of those who fought for restoration of democracy.
Akhilesh appreciated the idea of making a documentary on emergency, saying that there is already enough reading material available to know about that period, and now people will also get to know more about the "atrocities" carried out at that time in an audio-visual format.
The CM said that at times when it seemed that emergency would never end, `Loktantra Senanis` sacrificed everything and got the democracy restored.
He claimed that the respect and honour of `Loktantra Senanis` has been restored by the Samajwadi Party regime, and asserted that they would be given even more facilities as the financial position of the government improves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster