Denied ticket, Cong UP spokesman resigns
Lucknow: Irked at being denied ticket for
assembly polls, Uttar Pradesh Pradeshik Congress Committee
(UPPCC) spokesman and general secretary Subodh Srivastava has
resigned from all party posts and slammed the party decision
to give preference to a "turncoat".
"I had been working in the constituency from the last
three years and have been denied ticket at the last minute
therefore I have resigned from all posts of the party,"
Subodh, also a general secretary, said, a day after the
Congress released its third list of candidates for the UP
elections due next year.
A close confidant of UPPCC president Rita Bahiguna Joshi,
Subodh was seeking ticket from Lucknow central assembly
segment and resigned on Wednesday after the party named Fakir
Siddiqui as its candidate.
Fakir and Ramesh Srivastava were named party nominees
from Lucknow central and east constituencies in the list of 78
candidates released yesterday.
Calling Siddiqui a "turncoat", Subodh said his services
had not been recognised by the party.
Fakir, who was initially associated with SP, joined
BSP after last assembly elections and was expelled recently.
"It is unfortunate that a person like Ramesh Srivastava,
who opposed Rita Joshi during Lok Sabha election and
by-election for Lucknow west seat and whose loyalty is
doubtful has been given ticket," Subodh said.
He, however, said he would continue to be a member of the
Meanwhile, UPCC state president Rita Bahuguna Joshi, who
is currently in New Delhi, said she would talk to Subodh over
the issue after reaching Lucknow.
"I am not in Lucknow at present. I will talk to him
(Subodh) as he is dedicated party worker....," she said over
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan