Digvijay accuses UP govt of being insensitive to Dalits
Lucknow: Accusing Mayawati government in Uttar Pradesh of being insensitive to Dalits, AICC General Secretary Digvijay Singh on Thursday said the state police is committing atrocities against the most backward community for not being with the ruling BSP.
Citing an instance, the Congress leader alleged some
families belonging to the Rajbhar community were evicted
recently from their houses in a village near Varanasi by some
BSP office-bearers in connivance with the local administration
and left shivering in the biting cold just because they were
not supporting the BSP.
The incident occurred at Shahpur village in Varanasi
district on January 3, he said in a statement here.
"When the ousted families staged a demonstration and
attempted to burn an effigy of the CM, police lathicharged
them and they were later arrested on the orders of the
divisional commissioner," the Congress leader alleged.
He alleged that the arrest was ordered when the
affected people were going to meet the commissioner to recount
Digvijay alleged that president of an outfit called
Bhartiya Samaj Party Omprakash Rajbhar and eight others were
arrested on false charges and were lodged in jail.
"This incident indicates that the government is
insensitive towards most backward castes and is committing
atrocities against them, because they are not with the BSP,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof