Dimple to have smooth sailing in Kannauj by-poll
Lucknow: After the Congress and BJP, BSP also today decided not to field its candidate in the Kannauj Lok Sabha by-polls against Dimple Yadav, wife of UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, setting the stage for an easy win for her.
A BSP spokesman today said the party has decided not to field its candidate in the by-election for Kannauj parliamentary seat.
He alleged that continuing with its tradition of nepotism, SP has fielded Dimple as its candidate in the June 24 by-election.
With BSP deciding to keep away from by-poll, it would be smooth sail for Dimple as Congress has already announced its decision of not fielding a candidate.
The Kannauj by-election has been necessitated following the resignation of Akhilesh after his election to the Legislative Council.
In a volte face, BJP which had yesterday decided against contesting the by-election today announced the candidature Jagdev Yadav shortly before the 3 PM deadline for filing of nominations.
Yadav, however, failed to reach the returning officer`s office in time to file the papers. He later alleged that he was stopped by SP workers at two places.
Besides the SP candidate Dimple, only one candidate Dashrath Singh is in fray from Sanyukt Samajwadi Party. The withdrawal of candidature could be made by June 8.
35-year-old Dimple filed her nomination papers yesterday. She had suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of Congress` Raj Babbar in the by-polls for the Firozabad Lok Sabha seat in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test