Dimple Yadav to contest Kannauj bypoll
Lucknow: It seems Samajwadi Party is quite confident after winning the Uttar Pradesh Assembly Elections as the party has decided to field Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav’s wife Dimple Yadav as party’s candidate for the Kannauj Lok Sabha constituency, which goes for a bypoll on June 24.
According to the Election Commission (EC), the votes will be counted on June 27.
The notification for the bypoll would be issued on May 30. The last date for filing nominations is June 06 and the last date for withdrawal of nominations has been fixed on June 09.
The Kannauj seat fell vacant after its three-time member of Parliament Akhilesh Yadav was elected as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, forcing a bypoll.
Interestingly, Dimple Yadav lost the Firozabad by-election in November 2009 to actor-turned-politician Raj Babbar after he defected to the Congress. The defeat led to Mulayam Singh Yadav and Amar Singh parting ways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video