Dimple Yadav to contest Kannauj bypoll
Lucknow: It seems Samajwadi Party is quite confident after winning the Uttar Pradesh Assembly Elections as the party has decided to field Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav’s wife Dimple Yadav as party’s candidate for the Kannauj Lok Sabha constituency, which goes for a bypoll on June 24.
According to the Election Commission (EC), the votes will be counted on June 27.
The notification for the bypoll would be issued on May 30. The last date for filing nominations is June 06 and the last date for withdrawal of nominations has been fixed on June 09.
The Kannauj seat fell vacant after its three-time member of Parliament Akhilesh Yadav was elected as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, forcing a bypoll.
Interestingly, Dimple Yadav lost the Firozabad by-election in November 2009 to actor-turned-politician Raj Babbar after he defected to the Congress. The defeat led to Mulayam Singh Yadav and Amar Singh parting ways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town