Dishonor Killing: Father burns daughter to death
Meerut: In a case of dishonor killing, an unmarried girl was allegedly burnt to death by her father and uncle for refusing to marry the chosen groom at Hasanpur village in Kithaur district here, police said on Friday.
Pooja was dumped in a silo and set ablaze on Thursday by her father Iqbal and his brother after she refused to marry, they said.
The deceased Pooja and her elder sister Jyoti were to be married on Friday, however, they were unhappy with their respective matches and rejected the alliance last night following which their relatives beat the girls, police said.
Apparently upset over the beating, Pooja allegedly consumed poison after which her father and uncle burnt her alive in a silo instead of taking the girl to a hospital, police added.
The girl`s body has been recovered from the silo and has been sent for the post mortem, they said, adding, the efforts are on to trace the absconding culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says