Dishonor Killing: Father burns daughter to death
Meerut: In a case of dishonor killing, an unmarried girl was allegedly burnt to death by her father and uncle for refusing to marry the chosen groom at Hasanpur village in Kithaur district here, police said on Friday.
Pooja was dumped in a silo and set ablaze on Thursday by her father Iqbal and his brother after she refused to marry, they said.
The deceased Pooja and her elder sister Jyoti were to be married on Friday, however, they were unhappy with their respective matches and rejected the alliance last night following which their relatives beat the girls, police said.
Apparently upset over the beating, Pooja allegedly consumed poison after which her father and uncle burnt her alive in a silo instead of taking the girl to a hospital, police added.
The girl`s body has been recovered from the silo and has been sent for the post mortem, they said, adding, the efforts are on to trace the absconding culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- JNU shouts anti-nationalist slogans; nation questions intent
- Ishrat Jahan was LeT terrorist, reveals David Headley
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanumanthappa passes away
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches three new services for train passengers
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India