Dishonor Killing: Father burns daughter to death
Meerut: In a case of dishonor killing, an unmarried girl was allegedly burnt to death by her father and uncle for refusing to marry the chosen groom at Hasanpur village in Kithaur district here, police said on Friday.
Pooja was dumped in a silo and set ablaze on Thursday by her father Iqbal and his brother after she refused to marry, they said.
The deceased Pooja and her elder sister Jyoti were to be married on Friday, however, they were unhappy with their respective matches and rejected the alliance last night following which their relatives beat the girls, police said.
Apparently upset over the beating, Pooja allegedly consumed poison after which her father and uncle burnt her alive in a silo instead of taking the girl to a hospital, police added.
The girl`s body has been recovered from the silo and has been sent for the post mortem, they said, adding, the efforts are on to trace the absconding culprits.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi