Dishonor Killing: Father burns daughter to death
Meerut: In a case of dishonor killing, an unmarried girl was allegedly burnt to death by her father and uncle for refusing to marry the chosen groom at Hasanpur village in Kithaur district here, police said on Friday.
Pooja was dumped in a silo and set ablaze on Thursday by her father Iqbal and his brother after she refused to marry, they said.
The deceased Pooja and her elder sister Jyoti were to be married on Friday, however, they were unhappy with their respective matches and rejected the alliance last night following which their relatives beat the girls, police said.
Apparently upset over the beating, Pooja allegedly consumed poison after which her father and uncle burnt her alive in a silo instead of taking the girl to a hospital, police added.
The girl`s body has been recovered from the silo and has been sent for the post mortem, they said, adding, the efforts are on to trace the absconding culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why