Dishonour killing: Youth killed by girl`s brother
Ghaziabad: In a suspected case of dishonour killing, a man and woman were fired at by members of the woman`s family on Sunday in a village near Meerut. While the man has died, the woman has been seriously injured.
The incident happened at Mathena village, about 15 km away from Meerut city but under the jurisdiction of the Inchauli police station of Ghaziabad.
"Three brothers of Sarita (25) along with four of their relatives opened fire on Davendra (27) and their sister and fled the spot. Villagers rushed both victims to the local Sushila Jaswant Rai Hospital, where doctors declared Davendra dead. Sarita has sustained two bullet injuries and has been referred to the Meerut Medical College for better treatment," said Inspector General of Police Rajiv Krishna.
Davendra and Sarita, both of whom are Dalits, were in a relationship since 2002. But Sarita`s family disapproved of it. In 2004, Sarita`s parents lodged a complaint with the Inchauli police that Davendra had eloped with their daughter. The police then filed a charge sheet against Davendra, but a court acquitted him after Sarita stated that her family had falsely implicated Davendra.
Sarita`s family forcibly married her to Ghanshyam, a resident of Meerut. But Sarita maintained her relations with Davendra.
On January 01, 2012, the two were talking at the main gate of Davendra`s house in the village, when Sarita`s brothers opened fire on them.
A case has been registered against seven persons, including Sarita`s three brothers Rinku, Bhola and Amar and four other relatives - Raju, Kiran Pal, Ram Lal and Sunil. They are all on the run and as yet untraced and the police have launched a search for them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'