District admin should have taken necessary steps in Badaun: CM Akhilesh Yadav
Lucknow: Facing flak over the law and order situation in the state, chief minister Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday said the district administrations should have taken necessary steps in the alleged rape incidents that took place in Badaun and Kannauj.
The chief minister today held a meeting with top officials here and said the kind of work expected from the police and administration in the district was "not being done".
Referring to Badaun and Kannauj incidents he said, "The district administrations should have taken necessary steps."
Addressing senior administrative and police officials here Akhilesh said that it was the duty of divisional and district level officers that along with keeping a close watch on the development works they should work sincerely for law and order.
The chief minister assured that while hardworking and honest officers would be protected, stern action would be taken against lax and corrupt ones.
He said the district magistrates should keep a watch on the quality of basic projects in their districts and take quick action in case of corruption and inform the government.
He said the local administration should not let the image of the state or the government be affected.
Pulling up officials, he said that from his surprise inspection of Shravasti district it became clear that at several places senior officers, including DMs, do not have information about ongoing development works.
Emphasising on making working of tehsils and police stations corruption-free he said, senior officers must have all information regarding departments in their districts.
Akhilesh also warned that incidents like smuggling of cattle, illegal mining and atrocities against women must be stopped effectively.
Meanwhile, Chief Secretary Alok Ranjan said law and order was the top priority of the government and directed that a policy of "zero tolerance" should be adopted in cases related to incidents against women.
Akhilesh called a meeting of all divisional commissioners, district magistrates, IGs, DIGs and district police chiefs, besides top government officials.
Bodies of two teenage girls aged 14 and 15, who went out of their house on May 27, were found hanging with a tree next morning after being allegedly gang-raped and murdered in Ushait area in Badaun district.
In Kannauj, a 14-year-old girl was allegedly raped on June 3 by her neighbour in Madharpur village, following which the accused youth was arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?