DM reverses decision, no curfew relaxation in Bareilly
Bareilly: The district administration here late on Tuesday night reversed its decision to relax day curfew tomorrow citing "special reasons" despite a religious procession in trouble-torn town passing off peacefully on Monday.
The district magistrate Abhishek Prakash had earlier in the day announced that the curfew would be relaxed from 10 am to 5 pm tomorrow after the Ganga Mahrani procession from Malookpur to Ganga passed off without any untoward incident.
However, late in the evening Prakash issued a statement that "due to some special reasons there would be no relaxation in day curfew tomorrow."
The statement further said that a final decision to relax the curfew would be taken after estimating the situation tomorrow.
Earlier in the day, Prakash had said that 75 people, including chairman of Zila Panchayat, had been arrested in apprehension of breach of peace today.
The trouble started on Saturday in Baradari area when two groups clashed after a Janmashtami procession deviated from its fixed route and was stopped by some persons in Jagatpur Panwaria locality leading to heavy brick batting and firing in which three persons, including a mother-son, duo were injured.
In Kalibari area people went on the rampage when the route of another religious procession was changed.
While police resorted to lathicharge and fired tear gas shells, the mob indulged in brick batting and firing in which around 15 people, including three policemen, were injured.
In the wake of the clashes, curfew was clamped on July 22 in Baradari, Prem Nagar, Qila and Kotwali areas of the city and all schools and colleges were closed.
Senior Superintendent of Police Satyendraveer Singh has suspended two sub-inspectors and removed an inspector in connection with the clashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar