Docs strike as hospital grapples with Encephalitis
Gorakhpur: Medical services are
virtually paralysed for the last two days at BRD Medical
college hospital, grappling with the influx of Encephalitis
patients from eastern UP, as junior doctors have gone a strike
demanding better security and facilities.
The residents or junior doctors went on strike on Tuesday
when agitated relatives of a patient, who had died here during
treatment, clashed with the medicos, sources said.
The striking doctors are demanding better security in the
campus, including a ban on firearms and restricted entry
through passes in the college, apart from better facilities at
The sources said the OPD did not run on Thursday while the
emergency was being operated by the senior doctors of the
Because of the strike new patients are not being
admitted in the hospital, they said.
Japanese Encephalitis has claimed over 450 lives in
eastern Uttar Pradesh this year. BRD medical college is main
hospital catering to the patients and saw a visit by Union
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad on October 20.
Some senior district administration officials intervened
last evening and had a dialogue with hospital authorities and
junior doctors to break the stalemate. However, no
breakthrough was achieved, according to college sources.
The talks between the college principal and junior
doctors are still on, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what