Docs strike as hospital grapples with Encephalitis
Gorakhpur: Medical services are
virtually paralysed for the last two days at BRD Medical
college hospital, grappling with the influx of Encephalitis
patients from eastern UP, as junior doctors have gone a strike
demanding better security and facilities.
The residents or junior doctors went on strike on Tuesday
when agitated relatives of a patient, who had died here during
treatment, clashed with the medicos, sources said.
The striking doctors are demanding better security in the
campus, including a ban on firearms and restricted entry
through passes in the college, apart from better facilities at
The sources said the OPD did not run on Thursday while the
emergency was being operated by the senior doctors of the
Because of the strike new patients are not being
admitted in the hospital, they said.
Japanese Encephalitis has claimed over 450 lives in
eastern Uttar Pradesh this year. BRD medical college is main
hospital catering to the patients and saw a visit by Union
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad on October 20.
Some senior district administration officials intervened
last evening and had a dialogue with hospital authorities and
junior doctors to break the stalemate. However, no
breakthrough was achieved, according to college sources.
The talks between the college principal and junior
doctors are still on, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley