Doctors boycott work for second consecutive day in Kanpur
Kanpur: Doctors across hospitals in the city on Wednesday continued their agitation and boycotted work for three hours to protest the arrest of their colleagues on the charges of issuing fake medical certificates on payment.
At least 1,650 doctors, under the aegis of Indian Medical Association, went on strike from 8 am to 11 pm to demand the release of the three arrested doctors.
Due to the strike, several patients complained of facing problems as no one was attended to and neither was any work undertaken during this period.
IMA general secretary Praveen Katiyar said the doctors from various private and public hospitals tied black bands on their wrists and boycotted work for three hours.
"Police behaviour with government hospital doctors is very unfortunate. IMA and Provincial Medical Services` Association (PMS) have asked the top officials to do an unbiased investigation into the matter," Katiyar said.
Three doctors and a compounder of different government hospitals were arrested Saturday after a local news channel caught them issuing fake medical certificates to fit persons on payment in a sting operation.
"The top officials of the hospital are informed prior to conducting a sting operation which did not happen in this case. The police also arrested the doctors without giving cognisance of the matter to anyone in the hospital," said Nand Kishor Gupta, member of PMS association, Kanpur.
However, Director of Ursula hospital, Manjula Gupta, said only a section of doctors are on protest and several of them are still attending to patients.
Ursula hospital is where the sting operation took place.
"A detailed report in this matter has been sent to the health department," she said.
A city court had yesterday dismissed the bail pleas of the four arrested and sent them to 14-day judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu