Doctors row: SP MLA Solanki booked for attempt to murder
Kanpur: Uttar Pradesh ruling Samajwadi Party MLA Irfan Solanki, allegedly involved in a clash between his supporters and junior doctors here, was on Thursday night booked on charges of attempt to murder, rioting and voluntary causing hurt.
An FIR was filed against Solanki at Swarup Nagar Police Station on a complaint made by Himanshu Kumar Singh, a medical student who was injured during the clash on February 28.
Singh, who had been arrested after the incident, was released this afternoon after which he filed a complaint with the police, R K Chaturvedi, DIG, Kanpur Range, said.
The FIR was lodged hours after junior doctors of Uttar Pradesh, one of whose main demands was action against Solanki, called off their six-day strike.
Solanki has been booked under sections 307 (attempt to murder), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 147 (rioting) and 148 (rioting, armed with deadly weapon) of the IPC, the DIG said.
The clash had apparently started when the MLA objected to some junior doctors of Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Medical College Hospital allegedly misbehaving with an elderly person at the Medical College Square, SSP Yashasvi Yadav had said.
Following unruly scenes, the police resorted to lathicharge to disperse the crowd.
The incident left several people, including police personnel, journalists and many civilians injured, sources had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi