DSP, team assaulted by liquor smugglers
Ghaziabad: A Deputy Superintendent of Police was assaulted by armed liquor smugglers when he along with his team went to raid an illicit liquor shop in Pilkhuwa area here, police said Wednesday.
DSP Amit Nagar sustained injuries on his head and hands in the attack last night. An excise inspector and three cops, accompanying him were also attacked by the accused.
On information that illicit liquor was being sold at a grocery shop owned by one Rajender Singh in Atroli village, Nagar long with excise inspector Ajay Yadav, three cops, including an excise constable, went to raid the shop last night.
"When the DSP along with his team raided the shop, liquor smugglers suddenly attacked his team. The accused hit Nagar on his head with wooden rod and bricks. They also attacked Nagar`s team with wooden rods and bricks. The accused also opened fire while fleeing from the spot," said a senior police officer.
Besides Nagar, excise inspector Yadav and constable Vipin Sharma were injured in the attack.
Soon after the incident, Superintendent of Police Ashok Kumar Raghav rushed to the spot and rushed Nagar and his team members to a nearby hospital where they are recuperating.
A heavy police force from four police stations of the district has been deployed in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city