EC ban: Allahabad HC dismisses petition of DP Yadav`s wife
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court has turned down a petition of Umlesh Yadav, wife of liquor baron and strongman D P Yadav, challenging her disqualification by the Election Commission for a period of three years on account of her failure to make correct disclosure of poll expenses.
A division bench, comprising Justices Ashok Bhushan and Bharati Sapru, passed the order on May 3 observing that "none of the submissions of the learned counsel for the petitioner has any substance."
Umlesh had got elected from Bisauli Assembly constituency in the 2007 UP Assembly elections wherein she had fought as a candidate of Rashtriya Parivartan Dal, a fledgling outfit floated by her husband.
A complaint was made to the Press Council of India on April 27, 2007 that a day before polling for the constituency, "one-sided news items" were published in two Hindi dailies for which a huge sum was paid by Umlesh to the dailies even though campaigning had come to an end.
The PCI, in its order dated March 31, 2010, held that the matter published in the newspapers "in reality was an advertisement" even though it was "camouflaged as a news item" and forwarded the adjudication to the EC for necessary action.
The EC, after investigating the matter, invoked the relevant section of the Representation of People Act and disqualified Umlesh for a period of three years vide order dated October 20, 2011.
Incidentally, D P Yadav is a former MLA who has been associated with different political parties while the couple`s son Vikas Yadav is the prime accused in the Nitish Katara murder case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh