EC clean chit to Jayant Chowdhury
Lucknow: The Election authorities on Tuesday gave a clean chit to Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh`s son and Rashtriya Lok Dal leader Jayant Chowdhury who was caught on camera accepting money from a local leader in Mathura and allegedly violating the model code of conduct.
After examination, it has been found that there was no effort to woo the electorate by offering money and Rs. 51,000 which were seen changing hands were being given for poll management, Joint Chief Electoral Officer Anita Meshram said.
The RLD candidate would mention it in the expenditure register which would also be checked by the expenditure observer, she said adding the Returning Officer`s report in this regard is being sent to the Election Officer.
According to the report, gram pradhan Than Singh was giving the money to the candidate for election management.
A notice was sent to Chowdhury by the EC earlier this week seeking his explanation after he was caught on camera accepting money at Govardhan Assembly constituency.
Besides Chowdhury, a notice was also given to party candiadate from Goverdhan Megh Shyam Singh.
The Assembly constituencies that fall under Mathura will go to vote on February 28. Chowdhury, a sitting MP from Mathura, is also contesting Assembly polls from Maant seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’