EC directive on Maya statues childish: Bihar Dy CM
Bhopal: Terming as "childish" the Election
Commission directive of covering up the statues of UP Chief
Minister Mayawati and elephant, the BSP symbol, Bihar Deputy
Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi on Tuesday said the constitutional
body should refrain from such decisions.
"The EC`s decision to cover up Uttar Pradesh Chief
Minister Mayawati`s statues and the elephant models is
childish and impractical," Modi, chairman of the Empowered
Committee of the state finance ministers on GST, told
reporters after the committee`s two-day meeting here.
"With this analogy, can anyone throw a cycle, which is
the poll symbol of Samajwadi Party, into a pond, during the
elections?" he asked.
When asked about the NDA partners-- JD-U and BJP --
contesting UP polls separately, he said, it was a political
compulsion for both these parties, which would not have any
impact on their national-level coalition.
On whether he would campaign in Uttar Pradesh for the
polls, Modi said, if invited, he would definitely go there.
Commenting on the allegations by the BJP-ruled Madhya
Pradesh government that the Centre is giving a step-motherly
treatment to the non-Congress ruled states, he said he also
holds a similar opinion.
"On one hand, the Centre sanctions a special package for
Andhra Pradesh, it pays no attention to similar demands raised
by Bihar," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?