ED submits report in HC on money laundering charge against Amar Singh
Allahabad: The Enforcement Directorate Wednesday submitted before a full bench of Allahabad High Court its inquiry report on allegations of money laundering against Rajya Sabha MP Amar Singh.
On submission of the report, it was contended by Singh`s counsel that now there was no need to proceed further in connection with an FIR lodged against him in Kanpur wherein various allegations of financial irregularities had been levelled against the erstwhile confidant of Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav.
However, the bench comprising acting Chief Justice Amitava Lala, Justice S K Gupta and Justice P K S Baghel asked the government advocate to seek instructions in the matter and fixed September 21 as the next date of hearing.
An FIR was lodged by Kanpur resident Shiva Kant Tripathi at Babupuruwa police station in October, 2010, alleging that Singh had committed financial irregularities in his capacity as the Chairman of Uttar Pradesh Vikas Parishad during the Chief Ministership of Mulayam Singh Yadav.
The allegations were denied by Singh, who moved the High Court challenging the FIR.
Subsequently, Tripathi also filed a petition praying for instructions for speedy trial.
The court stayed Singh`s arrest in connection with charges under Indian Penal Code and Prevention of Corruption Act.
However, on May 20 last year, it also directed the Enforcement Directorate to investigate money laundering charges against the Rajya Sabha MP.
A former SP general secretary who wielded tremendous clout in the party, Singh was expelled from the party in 2010 for anti-party activities.
He thereafter floated a political outfit Rashtriya Lokmanch which failed to make any impact in assembly elections held in UP earlier this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday