Education key to bright future: Sonia Gandhi
Rae Bareli: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Thursday said that society and country would progress only when maximum people get education for which the UPA government has taken concrete steps.
"The society and the country will progress only when maximum people get educated. Education is the key to a bright future," Sonia said in her address after laying the foundation stone for widening of the Lucknow-Rae Bareli road and other projects here.
She said that the UPA government has taken concrete steps in the field of education.
"Approval has been given for one model school in every block and 75 percent of the cost is being given by the UPA government. In Uttar Pradesh money has been provided for 148 schools," she said.
The UPA chairperson said that Rae Bareli being the "karmbhoomi" of late prime minister Indira Gandhi, it was her wish that a girls` degree college should be build in her memory.
Sonia said that the Human Resource Development Ministry has taken an initiative to set up a degree college here.
"State government has also shown positive stand in giving land. As soon as land is provided necessary steps would be taken immediately and the college will be named after Indira Gandhi," she said.
The UPA president said that Lucknow-Rae Bareli road would be converted into four lanes at a cost of Rs 600 crore. Sonia said that work on widening Rae Bareli-Allahabad road would be started soon with a cost of Rs 300 crore.
"The UPA government has given approval for national highway projects at a cost of Rs 1,800 crore," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 85 seats, BJP in 53; counting underway
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Out of 10 civic bodies, Shiv Sena ahead in BMC and Thane; BJP in 7, NCP in Pimpri Chinchwad