Education key to bright future: Sonia Gandhi
Rae Bareli: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Thursday said that society and country would progress only when maximum people get education for which the UPA government has taken concrete steps.
"The society and the country will progress only when maximum people get educated. Education is the key to a bright future," Sonia said in her address after laying the foundation stone for widening of the Lucknow-Rae Bareli road and other projects here.
She said that the UPA government has taken concrete steps in the field of education.
"Approval has been given for one model school in every block and 75 percent of the cost is being given by the UPA government. In Uttar Pradesh money has been provided for 148 schools," she said.
The UPA chairperson said that Rae Bareli being the "karmbhoomi" of late prime minister Indira Gandhi, it was her wish that a girls` degree college should be build in her memory.
Sonia said that the Human Resource Development Ministry has taken an initiative to set up a degree college here.
"State government has also shown positive stand in giving land. As soon as land is provided necessary steps would be taken immediately and the college will be named after Indira Gandhi," she said.
The UPA president said that Lucknow-Rae Bareli road would be converted into four lanes at a cost of Rs 600 crore. Sonia said that work on widening Rae Bareli-Allahabad road would be started soon with a cost of Rs 300 crore.
"The UPA government has given approval for national highway projects at a cost of Rs 1,800 crore," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset