Eid celebrated with traditional fervour in UP
Lucknow: Eid was celebrated across Uttar Pradesh with traditional gaiety and religious fervour on Friday amid heavy police presence and security.
The morning `namaaz` (prayers) were offered at major mosques like Aishbagh Idgah and Teelewaali Masjid in the state capital and in Jama Masjid in Agra.
There were no reports of any untoward incident in any part of the state, officials said.
Security had been beefed up following communal clashes in the past few months. Police were deployed in sensitive areas.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav joined the festivities at Eidgah and said the festival underlined universal brotherhood and secularism.
Eid prayers in Lucknow were led by Sunni cleric Maulana Khalid Rashid Firangi Mahli. Reports of Eid festivities were also coming in from Amroha, Sambhal, Moradabad, Budayun, Shahjahanpur, Mainpuri and other towns.
However, rain disrupted the `namaaz` at some places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack