Eid celebrated with traditional fervour in UP
Lucknow: Eid was celebrated across Uttar Pradesh with traditional gaiety and religious fervour on Friday amid heavy police presence and security.
The morning `namaaz` (prayers) were offered at major mosques like Aishbagh Idgah and Teelewaali Masjid in the state capital and in Jama Masjid in Agra.
There were no reports of any untoward incident in any part of the state, officials said.
Security had been beefed up following communal clashes in the past few months. Police were deployed in sensitive areas.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav joined the festivities at Eidgah and said the festival underlined universal brotherhood and secularism.
Eid prayers in Lucknow were led by Sunni cleric Maulana Khalid Rashid Firangi Mahli. Reports of Eid festivities were also coming in from Amroha, Sambhal, Moradabad, Budayun, Shahjahanpur, Mainpuri and other towns.
However, rain disrupted the `namaaz` at some places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed