Eid prayers offered amidst curfew in Faizabad
Lucknow: Hundreds of Muslims offered Eid prayers in the violence hit Faizabad district on Saturday amidst tight security.
Curfew continued for the fourth consecutive day in Faizabad, 120 km from here. No fresh violence was reported though minor skirmishes had taken place late Friday night.
Police said situation was under control but admitted that late Friday night violence had erupted again in the Bhadarsa village in Poorakalandar area.
After the clashes, the district administration had ordered the security forces to shoot at sight.
On Saturday, Muslim clerics led the namaaz in which the community prayed for peace and calm.
Divisional commissioner of Faizabad, senior police and district administration officials are taking rounds of the city to ensure that peace prevailed and no untoward incident takes place, a senior home department official told a news agency.
Additional security forces, including Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) batallion and six fire tenders have been put on standby.
In other parts of the state, namaaz was offered and the administration was keeping a strict vigil, especially in Kanpur, Allahabad, Varanasi, Azamgarh, Aligarh, Meerut, Agra, officials informed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Mali Islamist rebel apologises for destroying shrines
- 3 militants killed in Pakistan
- Donald Trump calls for immediate closure of ''corrupt'' Clinton Foundation
- Hillary Clinton e-mail scandal: FBI discovers 15,000 more e-mails
- British police intercept drones flying drugs, cell phones into London prison