Eight die in cracker factory blast in UP
Lucknow: At least eight people were killed and over a dozen injured in a massive explosion in a cracker factory in Uttar Pradesh, reports said on Tuesday.
The tragedy happened late last night in Yakubpur village in Auraiyya district. The explosion was so deadly that it destroyed a series of houses.
Police said the rescue operation went on till early Tuesday and said eight of the injured were in critical condition.
"The seriously injured have been rushed to Kanpur," an official told reporters.
Superintendent of Police (Auraiyya) Sanjay Kakkar said that three constables and a police officer had been suspended for dereliction of duty.
Maiku Lal, owner of the cracker manufacturing unit, held a license but he had started producing the crackers from his house, some 250 yards from his unit, Kakkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!