Eight die in cracker factory blast in UP
Lucknow: At least eight people were killed and over a dozen injured in a massive explosion in a cracker factory in Uttar Pradesh, reports said on Tuesday.
The tragedy happened late last night in Yakubpur village in Auraiyya district. The explosion was so deadly that it destroyed a series of houses.
Police said the rescue operation went on till early Tuesday and said eight of the injured were in critical condition.
"The seriously injured have been rushed to Kanpur," an official told reporters.
Superintendent of Police (Auraiyya) Sanjay Kakkar said that three constables and a police officer had been suspended for dereliction of duty.
Maiku Lal, owner of the cracker manufacturing unit, held a license but he had started producing the crackers from his house, some 250 yards from his unit, Kakkar said.
- Agusta Westland chopper deal: Turning approver is out of question, says Italian middleman Christian Michel
- Google Chrome overtakes Internet Explorer to be crowned top web browser
- Delhi petrol pump staff allegedly dupe a guy and then say - "Our boss knows Kejriwal personally"
- This Carat keeps your phone battery healthy!
- Growth falls to 15-year low in Sub-Saharan Africa: IMF