Eight die in cracker factory blast in UP
Lucknow: At least eight people were killed and over a dozen injured in a massive explosion in a cracker factory in Uttar Pradesh, reports said on Tuesday.
The tragedy happened late last night in Yakubpur village in Auraiyya district. The explosion was so deadly that it destroyed a series of houses.
Police said the rescue operation went on till early Tuesday and said eight of the injured were in critical condition.
"The seriously injured have been rushed to Kanpur," an official told reporters.
Superintendent of Police (Auraiyya) Sanjay Kakkar said that three constables and a police officer had been suspended for dereliction of duty.
Maiku Lal, owner of the cracker manufacturing unit, held a license but he had started producing the crackers from his house, some 250 yards from his unit, Kakkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened