Encephalitis claims one more life in eastern UP
Gorakhpur: A child succumbed to encephalitis here taking the death toll in the viral disease in eastern Uttar Pradesh to 130 this year, officials said on Saturday.
Seven-year-old Akash, a native of Azamgarh district, died at the BRD Medical College Hospital here yesterday.
Health department officials said that two patients suffering from suspected encephalitis were admitted to the hospital yesterday.
A total of 670 encephalitis patients have been admitted to different government hospitals of Gorakhpur and Basti division this year, of which 130 died, they said.
The dead include mostly children from different districts of eastern UP, 66 patients from adjoining Bihar and two from Nepal, they said.
While some of the patients were suffering from Japanese Encephalitis (JE), most of them were suffering from Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES).
JE spreads due to mosquito bites while AES spreads due to viruses present in contaminated water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say