Encephalitis claims one more life in eastern UP
Gorakhpur: A child succumbed to encephalitis here taking the death toll in the viral disease in eastern Uttar Pradesh to 130 this year, officials said on Saturday.
Seven-year-old Akash, a native of Azamgarh district, died at the BRD Medical College Hospital here yesterday.
Health department officials said that two patients suffering from suspected encephalitis were admitted to the hospital yesterday.
A total of 670 encephalitis patients have been admitted to different government hospitals of Gorakhpur and Basti division this year, of which 130 died, they said.
The dead include mostly children from different districts of eastern UP, 66 patients from adjoining Bihar and two from Nepal, they said.
While some of the patients were suffering from Japanese Encephalitis (JE), most of them were suffering from Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES).
JE spreads due to mosquito bites while AES spreads due to viruses present in contaminated water.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living