Encephalitis deaths: Rahul sends Azad to Gorakhpur
New Delhi: Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad will visit Gorakhpur in eastern Uttar Pradesh to enquire about efforts to control the killer Japanese Encephalitis virus that has already taken at least 450 lives in the state.
"He (Azad) will leave for Gorakhpur today (Thursday) with a health ministry team and will be back Friday," a health ministry official told a news agency.
According to Congress sources, party general secretary Rahul Gandhi had requested Ghulam to visit the area.
Over 3,000 children have died of the viral disease since 2006 in the state.
Chief Minister Mayawati Wednesday convened a meeting to take stock of the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh