Encephalitis deaths: Rahul sends Azad to Gorakhpur
New Delhi: Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad will visit Gorakhpur in eastern Uttar Pradesh to enquire about efforts to control the killer Japanese Encephalitis virus that has already taken at least 450 lives in the state.
"He (Azad) will leave for Gorakhpur today (Thursday) with a health ministry team and will be back Friday," a health ministry official told a news agency.
According to Congress sources, party general secretary Rahul Gandhi had requested Ghulam to visit the area.
Over 3,000 children have died of the viral disease since 2006 in the state.
Chief Minister Mayawati Wednesday convened a meeting to take stock of the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley