Engineering student brutally assaulted by seniors
Bareilly: A first year engineering student was hospitalised after a brutal assault by four seniors as part of ragging at a government-run university campus here, police said on Friday.
Jagjeevan, studying in BTech first year of mechanical engineering at the MJP Rohilkhand University, was Thursday beaten by a group of four senior students of B Tech third year of the same stream.
According to police, Jagjeevan in his complaint has alleged that the four seniors --Vivek Mathur, Sumit Kumar, Aseem and Himanshu -- first directed him to perform awkward actions while singing a song.
After Jagjeevan refused, the seniors started kicking him and even attacked him with belts and stones.
"Jagjeevan has received injuries in his head. He is being treated at a hospital and is stated to be out of danger," police inspector Netram Singh told reporters Friday in Bareilly, some 250 km from Lucknow.
"We have initiated a joint enquiry into the matter along with the varsity officials. Necessary action would be taken against the four students on completion of enquiry. All of them are absconding," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened