Engineering student brutally assaulted by seniors
Bareilly: A first year engineering student was hospitalised after a brutal assault by four seniors as part of ragging at a government-run university campus here, police said on Friday.
Jagjeevan, studying in BTech first year of mechanical engineering at the MJP Rohilkhand University, was Thursday beaten by a group of four senior students of B Tech third year of the same stream.
According to police, Jagjeevan in his complaint has alleged that the four seniors --Vivek Mathur, Sumit Kumar, Aseem and Himanshu -- first directed him to perform awkward actions while singing a song.
After Jagjeevan refused, the seniors started kicking him and even attacked him with belts and stones.
"Jagjeevan has received injuries in his head. He is being treated at a hospital and is stated to be out of danger," police inspector Netram Singh told reporters Friday in Bareilly, some 250 km from Lucknow.
"We have initiated a joint enquiry into the matter along with the varsity officials. Necessary action would be taken against the four students on completion of enquiry. All of them are absconding," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!