Ensure proper shelter for poor during Kumbh: HC
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Wednesday directed Municipal authorities here to ensure proper shelter for the poor visiting the city during the two-month-long Maha Kumbh commencing on January 14.
A Division Bench comprising acting Chief Justice Shiva Kirti Singh and Justice Dilip Gupta passed the order while disposing of a petition filed by civil rights group PUCL.
The petitioner had sought a direction to the Allahabad Nagar Nigam for setting up of "rain baseras" (night shelters) for poor pilgrims who are expected to visit the city during the Maha Kumbh.
It was submitted on behalf of the Nagar Nigam that as many as 24 make-shift "rain baseras" had been built across the city in addition to 11 permanent night shelters which were coming up.
The petitioner`s lawyer alleged that out of the "rain baseras" already in place, as many as seven were locked from outside and, therefore, not accessible to people.
The Bench ordered that the "rain baseras", which were currently locked, too should be made available to the public during the commencement of the Maha Kumbh.
It directed the Nagar Nigam to place advertisements in local dailies informing the people about the night shelters and their locations.
"It is the duty of the respondents (Nagar Nigam) to ensure that those in need of shelter in the city of Allahabad do not suffer on account of extreme poverty.
"Please make sure that nobody feels compelled to sleep in the cold weather without a roof over the head," the Bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi