Even animals can`t be forcefully dragged away: Samajwadi MP
New Delhi: Even as the Samajwadi Party government in Uttar Pradesh is under fire over incidents of sexual violence against women, party MP Naresh Agrawal Monday evoked outrage among political leaders by saying that even a domestic animal can`t be forcefully dragged away.
"Today, no one takes away even a domestic animal of other person forcefully. If someone takes a domestic animal forcefully, the animal is also not ready," Agrawal told Times Now news channel in response to a question about the alleged gang rape of a woman in Badaun district.
Agrawal, however, said he was not saying anything on the allegations.
"The truth about the allegations will come out in inquiry. If these are true, there will be action otherwise there will be no action," he said.
He also told the news channel that people were looking at incidents only in Uttar Pradesh and not in other places.
Activists and political leaders strongly condemned Agrawal`s remarks.
Ranjana Kumari, chairperson of WomenPowerConnect (WPC), a coalition of nearly 1,400 women`s organisations and individuals, said Agrawal was comparing women with animals and it was shameful.
Congress leader Shobha Oza said the remarks were a reflection of a "beastly mindset".
She said the "irresponsible, shameful remarks" were made even as atrocities against were increasing in Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum