Explain `public interest`, BJP demands over UP ADG`s transfer
Lucknow: The opposition parties on Friday criticised the Uttar Pradesh government for transferring top cop Arun Kumar in the name of "public interest".
Alleging that Arun Kumar was shifted out as the additional director general (law and Order) as he refused to bow to the illegal diktats of the Akhilesh Yadav government, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) demanded the government come clean on what amounted to public interest.
"This is scandalous. How can the government say an official was removed in `public interest`, and still not spell out the cause," state BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said. If the reason behind Arun Kumar`s transfer was public interest, the government should explain it, and take action against the errant official, he added.
"We agree that the transfer and postings of officials is the prerogative of the state government and the chief minister, but one cannot shroud it ín `public interest` when everyone knows that the transfer was done as the official was not towing the official line of appeasement of a certain community and was acting in accordance with law," Pathak said.
State BJP president Lakshmikant Bajpai called the Akhilesh Yadav government`s decision unfortunate, and said Muzaffarnagar Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Praveen Kumar, who was being reportedly forced to slap the National Security Act on BJP legislators named in the riot FIRs, proceeded on medical leave.
"The chief minister and his government are hell bent on breaking the morale of the bureaucracy and the police force in order to serve their illegitimate political motives," he said.
Congress spokesman Amarnath feels frequent and unexplained transfers are detrimental for the morale of the force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow