Facebook post sparks tension in Meerut, 12 injured
Lucknow: An inflamatory post on social networking site Facebook resulted in communal tension in Meerut on Friday as angry members of a community stoned a mini-truck and a bus carrying a marriage party, police said.
Soon after the post lampooning a specific religion was noticed, mobs took to the streets raising slogans and pelting stones.
Twelve people were injured after which police cracked down on the irate mob and brought the situation under control.
Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) RK Vishwakarma said that a case against the inflamatory post has been registered after a complaint was filed by Raki Raj, a local.
He added that a dozen people have been arrested for the violence. Extra police have been deployed in the area to avoid escalation of tensions.
Two incidents related to Facebook and communal posts took place in Meerut city in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra