Facebook post sparks tension in Meerut, 12 injured
Lucknow: An inflamatory post on social networking site Facebook resulted in communal tension in Meerut on Friday as angry members of a community stoned a mini-truck and a bus carrying a marriage party, police said.
Soon after the post lampooning a specific religion was noticed, mobs took to the streets raising slogans and pelting stones.
Twelve people were injured after which police cracked down on the irate mob and brought the situation under control.
Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) RK Vishwakarma said that a case against the inflamatory post has been registered after a complaint was filed by Raki Raj, a local.
He added that a dozen people have been arrested for the violence. Extra police have been deployed in the area to avoid escalation of tensions.
Two incidents related to Facebook and communal posts took place in Meerut city in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?