Facebook post sparks tension in Meerut, 12 injured
Lucknow: An inflamatory post on social networking site Facebook resulted in communal tension in Meerut on Friday as angry members of a community stoned a mini-truck and a bus carrying a marriage party, police said.
Soon after the post lampooning a specific religion was noticed, mobs took to the streets raising slogans and pelting stones.
Twelve people were injured after which police cracked down on the irate mob and brought the situation under control.
Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) RK Vishwakarma said that a case against the inflamatory post has been registered after a complaint was filed by Raki Raj, a local.
He added that a dozen people have been arrested for the violence. Extra police have been deployed in the area to avoid escalation of tensions.
Two incidents related to Facebook and communal posts took place in Meerut city in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi