Facebook post sparks tension in Meerut, 12 injured
Lucknow: An inflamatory post on social networking site Facebook resulted in communal tension in Meerut on Friday as angry members of a community stoned a mini-truck and a bus carrying a marriage party, police said.
Soon after the post lampooning a specific religion was noticed, mobs took to the streets raising slogans and pelting stones.
Twelve people were injured after which police cracked down on the irate mob and brought the situation under control.
Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) RK Vishwakarma said that a case against the inflamatory post has been registered after a complaint was filed by Raki Raj, a local.
He added that a dozen people have been arrested for the violence. Extra police have been deployed in the area to avoid escalation of tensions.
Two incidents related to Facebook and communal posts took place in Meerut city in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan