Fake encounter: CBI seeks permission to prosecute SSP
Lucknow: The CBI has sought permission from the Uttar Pradesh government to prosecute a Senior Superintendent of Police and 10 other policemen in connection with an alleged fake encounter case in Bareilly in 2007.
"The CBI has sought prosecution sanction against SSP Lucknow J Ravindra Gaur, which is being considered by the government," IG (law and order) BP Singh told reporters here on Friday.
On June 30, 2007, a businessman from Badaun Mukul Gupta was killed in a police encounter on the Bareilly-Delhi road.
Police had claimed that Gupta along with his accomplice Pankaj Singh were going to rob a bank.
However, Gupta`s kin had moved the high court, which ordered a CBI inquiry into the matter.
In 2011, the CBI lodged an FIR against 11 policemen, including Gaur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air