Family attempts self-immolation over alleged police harassment
Bulandshahr: Five members of a family allegedly attempted self immolation along with their two children claiming harassment by a police officer.
Yousuf Hakim, sustained 90 per cent burn injuries and was referred to a New Delhi hospital while others were rescued by locals and policemen present at the time of the incident.
The incident occurred at village Bhat Garhi under Kotwali Dehat Police station here last evening.
Mehwish (22), her brother-in-law and other family members were upset as an investigator, who had come to the village to probe a complaint of their neighbour accusing them of vandalising his house, allegedly abused and humiliated them.
The officer allegedly accused Mehwish of having a role in the death of her husband and Yousuf`s brother Abdul Hakim.
Mehwish had eloped with Abdul Hakim in October 2010 and the duo later married. They returned to village in July 2012 but Abdul was killed in November 2012 by four villagers of Bhat Garhi. Mehwish, who was living with her in-laws since her return to village, claimed it to be an honour killing. The police, however, described the matter as an accidental death.
Enraged at being accused of her husband`s murder, she allegedly tried to commit self immolation along with her two minor daughters. Her in-laws too tried to set themselves ablaze. Though Mehwish and others were rescued, Yousuf suffered severe burn injuries.
According to Chief Medical Superintendent S D Singh here, the condition of Yousuf continues to be critical.
SP (City) Ajay Sahni said that the matter will be probed and a report submitted within three days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon