Family attempts self-immolation over alleged police harassment
Bulandshahr: Five members of a family allegedly attempted self immolation along with their two children claiming harassment by a police officer.
Yousuf Hakim, sustained 90 per cent burn injuries and was referred to a New Delhi hospital while others were rescued by locals and policemen present at the time of the incident.
The incident occurred at village Bhat Garhi under Kotwali Dehat Police station here last evening.
Mehwish (22), her brother-in-law and other family members were upset as an investigator, who had come to the village to probe a complaint of their neighbour accusing them of vandalising his house, allegedly abused and humiliated them.
The officer allegedly accused Mehwish of having a role in the death of her husband and Yousuf`s brother Abdul Hakim.
Mehwish had eloped with Abdul Hakim in October 2010 and the duo later married. They returned to village in July 2012 but Abdul was killed in November 2012 by four villagers of Bhat Garhi. Mehwish, who was living with her in-laws since her return to village, claimed it to be an honour killing. The police, however, described the matter as an accidental death.
Enraged at being accused of her husband`s murder, she allegedly tried to commit self immolation along with her two minor daughters. Her in-laws too tried to set themselves ablaze. Though Mehwish and others were rescued, Yousuf suffered severe burn injuries.
According to Chief Medical Superintendent S D Singh here, the condition of Yousuf continues to be critical.
SP (City) Ajay Sahni said that the matter will be probed and a report submitted within three days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal