Family erupts in joy after cartoonist`s release
Kanpur: Family and people at the hometown of Aseem Trivedi erupted in joy after the cartoonist, arrested on sedition charges, walked out of a Mumbai jail Wednesday after being granted bail.
In Aseem`s home at Shuklaganj in Unnao district, family members celebrated Aseem`s elease by distributing sweets.
Expressing happiness over the development, Aseem`s father Ashok Trivedi demanded immediate withdrawal of all cases against his son, including that of sedition.
"He is the grandson of a freedom fighter (Reva Shankar Trivedi). Aseem can never commit an act which amounts to sedition as he has inherited patriotism from his grandfather," Trivedi said, claiming that his son has "not done anything which comes under the purview of sedition."
When asked whether the cartoonist had any plans to visit his hometown in the coming days, Trivedi said "although I have not talked to him, but I am sure he will come to meet us in next 2-3 days. We will give him a heroic welcome."
The 25-year-old cartoonist was arrested on September 8 under IPC Section 124 (sedition), section 66 A of Information Technology Act and section 2 of Prevention of Insults to Nation Honour Act.
The freelancer has been accused of putting up banners mocking the Constitution during a rally of anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare here late last year and posting the same on his website.
Trivedi was arrested on the basis of a complaint filed by a member of Republican Party of India, Amit Katarnayea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered