Farmer commits suicide over failure to repay debt
Banda: A 45-year-old farmer allegedly committed suicide over rising debt in Keshav village, police said on Friday.
Santosh committed suicide by hanging himself in his house yesterday, they said.
The deceased had taken multiple loans which he was unable to repay, family sources said, adding that the first time was for the marriage of his daughter eight years ago.
He had taken another loan from a bank two years ago through a kisan credit card.
As he was not able to make ends meet, he also raised money through local lenders who were pressurising him to repay.
Meanwhile, officials said that the reasons behind the alleged suicide are under investigation and stern action would be taken against money lenders if found guilty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials