Farmers clash with UP police over sugarcane price
Lucknow: Agitated over the government`s sugarcane policy, farmers in Uttar Pradesh`s Muzaffarnagar and Baghpat district disrupted a rail route, targeted public vehicles and clashed with the police, officials said Thursday.
Several groups of farmers resorted to vandalism in Muzaffarnagar`s Ahlam town, about 350 km from Lucknow, and also damaged rail tracks there.
"We have deployed additional security forces in the district. Farmers are just not ready to hear anyone and have threatened to intensify their agitation in the coming days," Muzaffarnagar Superintendent of Police Raju Babu told reporters.
According to police, angry farmers also blockaded the Delhi-Saharanpur highway and other busy roads in Muzaffarnagar, where they damaged a number of public vehicles.
Farmers in Baghpat district, about 400 km from Lucknow, also resorted to vandalism and forced the closure of a number of shops in various parts of the district.
"We have strengthened security in the district, particularly in those areas that have sugar mills," Superintendent of Police (Baghpat) Deepak Kumar told reporters.
In the last few days, agitated farmers have burnt truckloads of raw sugar in Muzaffarnagar and several other districts in western Uttar Pradesh, police said.
Up in arms against the state government over the state advisory price (SAP) of sugarcane that is fixed between Rs.165 and Rs.170 per quintal, the farmers are demanding that the SAP be set at Rs.280 per quintal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM