Farmers in several UP villages on hunger strike
Greater Noida: Demanding higher compensation for their lands, acquired for establishment of a private university, farmers of Chithera village are sitting on hunger strike for last five days.
They have alleged that their lands were acquired under urgency clause at very low rates.
Today a local Samajwadi Party leader Bijendra Bhati went to the `dharna` site and promised to forward their demands to state government.
He appealed them to end the hunger strike.
The SP`s district vice president, Rathi, said, "We will hold talks with senior leaders to resolve their problems."
Meanwhile, at Dujana village also farmers have been holding protest against the Wave hi tech city project.
They too are demanding hiked compensation and developed land.
SP leaders said that senior leaders and state level officers recently held discussion to resolve the issue.
Wherever farmers have any problem senior leaders will intervene and organise discussion with concerned senior administrative officers to resolve their issues amicably within the legal frame work.
"SP is farmers party. All our policies are pro farmers. UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has categorically stated that no land will be acquired without consent of farmers," Rathi said.
Women in Bhatta Parsaul were also sitting on hunger strike at collectorate demanding withdrawal of cases and release of arrested farmers from the jail.
The state government had withdrawn the criminal cases lodged against the farmers of Bhatta-Parsaul in November last year.
Criminal charges were slapped against the farmers after an agitation in May last year. Three farmers and two policemen were killed in the ensuing violence. The farmers were protesting the land acquisition for the Yamuna Expressway project.
SP leaders, who reached the village today, said that cases withdrawal process has been initiated by the state government and legal process will take time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves