Farmers injured in lathi-charge in Greater Noida
Greater Noida: Farmers protesting against the construction of a hi-tech city here on Wednesday were lathi-charged when they tried to stop work at Naiphal village in Ghaziabad area.
They claimed that more than 10 farmers suffered injuries.
Farmers from Dujana, Durai, Kajipur, Nayayphal, Bayana and other villages took out their tractor trolleys and moved to stop the work alleging that their land was acquired at throw away prices.
They are demanding 64.7 per cent hiked compensation, 10 per cent developed land and 120 sqmt plot for landless farmers. They were holding agitation since July 29 at Dujana village.
Seeing the farmers marching ahead towards builder site, police used canes to disperse them. This caused panic and several farmers were injured. They were rushed to Ghaziabad hospital and discharged first aid.
ADM Ramavtar Raman and SDM Sadar reached the protest site at Dujana and tried to pacify the farmers, who said that till their demands were met, they would not allow the builder to start construction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption