Farmers petition Allahabad HC against Modi rally
Allahabad: A petition was on Thursday filed in the Allahabad High Court challenging Kanpur administration`s decision to allow use of agricultural land owned by dalits for BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s maiden rally in Uttar Pradesh later this week.
"We have filed a Public Interest Litigation wherein our contention is that 127 households of Kalyanpur area have been adversely affected by the district administration`s decision to allow the use of their land for the rally of October 19," the petitioner`s counsel Syed Farman Ahmad Naqvi said.
"The affected families had been granted about four acres of land way back in 1960s. Being agriculturists, they are solely dependent on the land for their livelihood. The administration, before granting permission for holding of rally on the land, neither sought the owners` approval nor did it pay heed when they raised objections," he alleged.
Naqvi, however, clarified "our objection is not to the rally per se but to the invidious manner in which the use of private land for a public purpose has been allowed by Kanpur administration without addressing the concerns of the owners."
"We hope that the petition will come up for hearing before a vacation bench of the court tomorrow," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview