Farmers pleas to be considered by larger bench: HC
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Friday referred to a larger bench the petitions filed by farmers from
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati`s ancestral village,
challenging acquisition of their land by the state government.
The judgement was passed this morning by the Division
Bench comprising Justice Amitava Lala and Justice
Ashok Srivastava on writ petitions filed by about 50 farmers
from Badalpur village, who had challenged acquisition of 230
hectares of land in the year 2008.
The same division bench comprising justices Amitava Lala
and Ashok Srivastava had on July 26 referred all petitions
challenging land acquisition by the UP government in Noida and
Greater Noida areas to the Chief Justice with the request that
a larger bench be constituted for deciding the matter.
The larger bench is expected to hear the cases on August
The petitioners have alleged that their land was acquired
by invoking the urgency clause for the development of Greater
Noida area, which deprived them of an opportunity to raise
objections as well as bargain for adequate compensation.
Besides, they have alleged, exemption from acquisition
was granted to "some influential land-owners in a
A Division Bench has on July 26 released a bunch of
petitions, where by acquisition of nearly 3000 hectares of
land spread across about a dozen villages was challenged, and
referred the matter to the Chief Justice with a request for
constituting a larger bench for deciding the matter.
The petitions of Badalpur farmers were filed a day later, on
The government is under attack for acquiring land in a
number of villages in Gautam Buddh Nagar district for
developing the Noida Extension areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?