Farmers protest for equal land compensation rates from UP govt
Aligarh (UP): More than 200 farmers, whose land had been acquired for a township adjoining Yamuna Expressway, are protesting at Tappal to seek parity in compensation rates by the Uttar Pradesh government, police said Wednesday.
The farmers are seeking parity of compensation rates for all farm lands acquired for the expressway from Noida to Agra, the farmers` spokesman Anil Talan said.
For this, members of the Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) and other farmers` organisation courted arrest after the protest began at the Tappal police station last evening, he said.
These organisations have already been protesting at the Zikrpur Yamuna Expressway Underpass for the past 70 days.
A prominent leader of the BKU, Rajpal Singh, said Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav had promised before the assembly elections that farmers would be given parity in compensation rates along the Yamuna Express Highway.
The farmers want that Yadav clear his party`s stand on the issue if the state government is not prepared to fulfil its electoral promises, he said.
Senior police and district officials are holding talks with the protesters to resolve the impasse, SP (Rural) Bali Karan Singh Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race