Farmers protest for equal land compensation rates from UP govt
Aligarh (UP): More than 200 farmers, whose land had been acquired for a township adjoining Yamuna Expressway, are protesting at Tappal to seek parity in compensation rates by the Uttar Pradesh government, police said Wednesday.
The farmers are seeking parity of compensation rates for all farm lands acquired for the expressway from Noida to Agra, the farmers` spokesman Anil Talan said.
For this, members of the Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) and other farmers` organisation courted arrest after the protest began at the Tappal police station last evening, he said.
These organisations have already been protesting at the Zikrpur Yamuna Expressway Underpass for the past 70 days.
A prominent leader of the BKU, Rajpal Singh, said Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav had promised before the assembly elections that farmers would be given parity in compensation rates along the Yamuna Express Highway.
The farmers want that Yadav clear his party`s stand on the issue if the state government is not prepared to fulfil its electoral promises, he said.
Senior police and district officials are holding talks with the protesters to resolve the impasse, SP (Rural) Bali Karan Singh Yadav said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living