Farmers protest for equal land compensation rates from UP govt
Aligarh (UP): More than 200 farmers, whose land had been acquired for a township adjoining Yamuna Expressway, are protesting at Tappal to seek parity in compensation rates by the Uttar Pradesh government, police said Wednesday.
The farmers are seeking parity of compensation rates for all farm lands acquired for the expressway from Noida to Agra, the farmers` spokesman Anil Talan said.
For this, members of the Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) and other farmers` organisation courted arrest after the protest began at the Tappal police station last evening, he said.
These organisations have already been protesting at the Zikrpur Yamuna Expressway Underpass for the past 70 days.
A prominent leader of the BKU, Rajpal Singh, said Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav had promised before the assembly elections that farmers would be given parity in compensation rates along the Yamuna Express Highway.
The farmers want that Yadav clear his party`s stand on the issue if the state government is not prepared to fulfil its electoral promises, he said.
Senior police and district officials are holding talks with the protesters to resolve the impasse, SP (Rural) Bali Karan Singh Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Does a corrupt govt influence the mindset of the youth?
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?