FIR against BSP MLA, others for assaulting mediapersons
Lakhimpur: An FIR has been lodged against a BSP MLA and some other persons for allegedly manhandling mediapersons during the coverage of an alleged eve-teasing case, police said here on Saturday.
A case has been lodged against Bala Prasad Awasthi, BSP MLA from Dhaurahara, his gunner, driver and some others for manhandling the mediapersons who had gone to Beltua village in connection with a case of eve-teasing with a Dalit woman, they said.
It is alleged that the mediapersons were held captive and assaulted by the villagers when they attempted to speak to the victim, the police said, adding that four persons were injured in the incident.
"Two mediapersons named Shahid and Ashok sustained serious injuries in the attack and were admitted in hospital," a police spokesperson said.
The FIR was lodged against the MLA and others on Thursday night and four persons have been detained in this connection, he said.
Meanwhile, MLA Awasthi said that a false case had been lodged against him and he was not present in Beltua village when the incident occurred.
He claimed that he was in Lakhimpur city on that day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zika virus may spread sexually from asymptomatic man to woman, claims study
- Delhi constable murder: All three culprits arrested
- Now KRK gets in on the act, blasts Piers Morgan for tweeting about PM Modi
- Seven killed in road accident in Uttar Pradesh's Ambedkarnagar
- Searching for weekend get aways in South? Give it a look