FIR filed against 50 for disturbance during Moharrum
Bareilly: An FIR has been filed against 50 persons, including former minister Shazil Islam, in connection with disturbances during Moharrum procession in the town, police said on Tuesday.
Supporters of Shazil, who is presently MLA belonging to Ittehad-e-Millat council, indulged in firing and brick batting, besides setting a `tazia` on fire on Sunday, after Moharrum procession in Shergarh area, Senior superintendent of police, Satyavir Singh said.
An FIR for inciting communal frenzy and passions has been filed against 50 persons including the former minister of state for Waqf yesterday, he said.
In another incident, a fire broke out at a place where religious discourses are given in Devkhariya area, after which some people blocked traffic on Bareilly-Nainital road in the wee hours today.
An FIR was lodged against eight people in this connection, Singh said.
District Magistrate Abhishek Prakash said the district was normal but a close vigil was being maintained to ensure that no untoward incident takes place.
This is the third incident of communal tension in the town this year. Earlier during Naag Panchami and Janmashthmi, some incidents had taken place and curfew was also imposed.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- RSS is against westernization, not modernization: Nitin Gadkari
- AAP govt, MCDs have responsibility to pay salaries: HC
- Bengaluru tops online learning in India: Coursera
- 50% Indian corporates open to working with start-ups
- SC notice to Centre, state governments on PIL for uploading FIR within 24 hours