FIR filed against 50 for disturbance during Moharrum
Bareilly: An FIR has been filed against 50 persons, including former minister Shazil Islam, in connection with disturbances during Moharrum procession in the town, police said on Tuesday.
Supporters of Shazil, who is presently MLA belonging to Ittehad-e-Millat council, indulged in firing and brick batting, besides setting a `tazia` on fire on Sunday, after Moharrum procession in Shergarh area, Senior superintendent of police, Satyavir Singh said.
An FIR for inciting communal frenzy and passions has been filed against 50 persons including the former minister of state for Waqf yesterday, he said.
In another incident, a fire broke out at a place where religious discourses are given in Devkhariya area, after which some people blocked traffic on Bareilly-Nainital road in the wee hours today.
An FIR was lodged against eight people in this connection, Singh said.
District Magistrate Abhishek Prakash said the district was normal but a close vigil was being maintained to ensure that no untoward incident takes place.
This is the third incident of communal tension in the town this year. Earlier during Naag Panchami and Janmashthmi, some incidents had taken place and curfew was also imposed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy