FIR filed against 50 for disturbance during Moharrum
Bareilly: An FIR has been filed against 50 persons, including former minister Shazil Islam, in connection with disturbances during Moharrum procession in the town, police said on Tuesday.
Supporters of Shazil, who is presently MLA belonging to Ittehad-e-Millat council, indulged in firing and brick batting, besides setting a `tazia` on fire on Sunday, after Moharrum procession in Shergarh area, Senior superintendent of police, Satyavir Singh said.
An FIR for inciting communal frenzy and passions has been filed against 50 persons including the former minister of state for Waqf yesterday, he said.
In another incident, a fire broke out at a place where religious discourses are given in Devkhariya area, after which some people blocked traffic on Bareilly-Nainital road in the wee hours today.
An FIR was lodged against eight people in this connection, Singh said.
District Magistrate Abhishek Prakash said the district was normal but a close vigil was being maintained to ensure that no untoward incident takes place.
This is the third incident of communal tension in the town this year. Earlier during Naag Panchami and Janmashthmi, some incidents had taken place and curfew was also imposed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended