FIR filed against 50 for disturbance during Moharrum
Bareilly: An FIR has been filed against 50 persons, including former minister Shazil Islam, in connection with disturbances during Moharrum procession in the town, police said on Tuesday.
Supporters of Shazil, who is presently MLA belonging to Ittehad-e-Millat council, indulged in firing and brick batting, besides setting a `tazia` on fire on Sunday, after Moharrum procession in Shergarh area, Senior superintendent of police, Satyavir Singh said.
An FIR for inciting communal frenzy and passions has been filed against 50 persons including the former minister of state for Waqf yesterday, he said.
In another incident, a fire broke out at a place where religious discourses are given in Devkhariya area, after which some people blocked traffic on Bareilly-Nainital road in the wee hours today.
An FIR was lodged against eight people in this connection, Singh said.
District Magistrate Abhishek Prakash said the district was normal but a close vigil was being maintained to ensure that no untoward incident takes place.
This is the third incident of communal tension in the town this year. Earlier during Naag Panchami and Janmashthmi, some incidents had taken place and curfew was also imposed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic