FIR registered in Bhatta-Parsaul rape case
Lucknow: Hours after the National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC) warned the Uttar Pradesh government that it would initiate contempt proceedings if the latter fails to act against policemen who allegedly raped women in Bhatta-Parsaul villages in Greater Noida in May, an FIR has reportedly been filed in the case on Monday.
Reports said the first information report has been filed at the Dankaur police station in Greater Noida. In total, 16 accused - all PAC jawans - have been named in the FIR.
Earlier, NCSC Chairman PL Punia had told a TV channel, "If an FIR is not registered in the Bhatta-Parsaul case, it means the Uttar Pradesh government officials are indulging in contempt of court."
"The commission has powers to initiate contempt proceedings. Although the commission has never exercised these powers but it is willing to do so if an FIR is not registered," he said.
Punia`s comments followed reports that women from the villages complained that they were raped the day police fired at villagers during a land acquisition protest and FIRs were not registered.
Violence erupted in Bhatta-Parsaul in May after farmers protested alleged forceful acquisition of their lands by the state government.
A court in Noida on October 10 directed the Uttar Pradesh government to register criminal cases against 16 policemen for alleged excesses they committed on women and others during the farmers` agitation in Bhatta-Parsaul.
The order came on complaints of seven women who also swore in affidavits that they were raped.
Police had refused to register any case of rape as the allegation was termed as an "afterthought" following the visit of Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi to the villages.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof