Fire at Maha Kumbh; 19 injured, two pandals gutted
Allahabad: A fire broke out at the Maha Kumbh congregation here today, injuring at least 19 people, some of them seriously, and gutting a couple of "pandals", officials said.
"The fire broke out at a pandal erected in Sector 11 of the Kumbh Mela area and soon engulfed an adjacent tent.
The fire was brought under control after half an hour of fire-fighting though by that time both the tents were gutted, Mela Officer Mani Prasad Mishra told reporters.
He said 19 persons, including two women, have suffered burn injuries.
Some of the seriously injured persons have been referred to a hospital in the city while the rest are undergoing treatment at a temporary hospital set up at the Kumbh Mela ground, Mishra said.
Meanwhile, Divisional Commissioner Devesh Chaturvedi said "prima facie, the fire appears to have been caused by leakage in a gas cylinder.
Though medical facilities are adequate at the Mela ground, those with serious injuries are being referred to SRN Hospital as a precautionary measure".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre