Fire at Maha Kumbh; 19 injured, two pandals gutted
Allahabad: A fire broke out at the Maha Kumbh congregation here today, injuring at least 19 people, some of them seriously, and gutting a couple of "pandals", officials said.
"The fire broke out at a pandal erected in Sector 11 of the Kumbh Mela area and soon engulfed an adjacent tent.
The fire was brought under control after half an hour of fire-fighting though by that time both the tents were gutted, Mela Officer Mani Prasad Mishra told reporters.
He said 19 persons, including two women, have suffered burn injuries.
Some of the seriously injured persons have been referred to a hospital in the city while the rest are undergoing treatment at a temporary hospital set up at the Kumbh Mela ground, Mishra said.
Meanwhile, Divisional Commissioner Devesh Chaturvedi said "prima facie, the fire appears to have been caused by leakage in a gas cylinder.
Though medical facilities are adequate at the Mela ground, those with serious injuries are being referred to SRN Hospital as a precautionary measure".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family