Fire in firecrackers warehouse in Varanasi, three injured
Lucknow: At least three people were injured on Wednesday when a major fire broke out in a warehouse storing firecrackers in a densely populated area of Uttar Pradesh`s Varanasi district, police said.
The fire engulfed the warehouse in Chowk area, some 250 km from here.
"It could have resulted in a major mishap, but the fire was controlled from spreading to nearby establishments with the timely intervention of fire-fighting officials. The fire is now under control," Police Inspector Shailendra Singh told reporters in Varanasi.
"It needs to be probed how the establishment in the densely populated area was being used as a warehouse for storing crackers. We have initiated an investigation," he said.
Though the exact cause behind the fire is yet to be ascertained, police believe a short circuit could be the reason.
The three employees of the warehouse, who received burn injuries, were being treated in a hospital and are stated to be out of danger.
Police are yet to trace the owner of the warehouse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH