Fire in firecrackers warehouse in Varanasi, three injured
Lucknow: At least three people were injured on Wednesday when a major fire broke out in a warehouse storing firecrackers in a densely populated area of Uttar Pradesh`s Varanasi district, police said.
The fire engulfed the warehouse in Chowk area, some 250 km from here.
"It could have resulted in a major mishap, but the fire was controlled from spreading to nearby establishments with the timely intervention of fire-fighting officials. The fire is now under control," Police Inspector Shailendra Singh told reporters in Varanasi.
"It needs to be probed how the establishment in the densely populated area was being used as a warehouse for storing crackers. We have initiated an investigation," he said.
Though the exact cause behind the fire is yet to be ascertained, police believe a short circuit could be the reason.
The three employees of the warehouse, who received burn injuries, were being treated in a hospital and are stated to be out of danger.
Police are yet to trace the owner of the warehouse.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living