Fire in firecrackers warehouse in Varanasi, three injured
Lucknow: At least three people were injured on Wednesday when a major fire broke out in a warehouse storing firecrackers in a densely populated area of Uttar Pradesh`s Varanasi district, police said.
The fire engulfed the warehouse in Chowk area, some 250 km from here.
"It could have resulted in a major mishap, but the fire was controlled from spreading to nearby establishments with the timely intervention of fire-fighting officials. The fire is now under control," Police Inspector Shailendra Singh told reporters in Varanasi.
"It needs to be probed how the establishment in the densely populated area was being used as a warehouse for storing crackers. We have initiated an investigation," he said.
Though the exact cause behind the fire is yet to be ascertained, police believe a short circuit could be the reason.
The three employees of the warehouse, who received burn injuries, were being treated in a hospital and are stated to be out of danger.
Police are yet to trace the owner of the warehouse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire