Fire in house in UP kills five siblings, all minors
Aligarh (Uttar Padesh): Five children of a rickshaw-puller, all aged between 12 and 14, were burnt to death here when a fire broke out in their house while they were sleeping, police said Saturday.
The incident took place late Friday in Pala Sahibabad area of Aligarh, some 300 km from state capital Lucknow, when the house with a thatched roof caught fire.
"Those killed in the fire include four boys and a girl - all aged between 12 and 14 years," Superintendent of Police (City) Maan Singh said on phone from Aligarh.
"The small house belonged to a rickshaw-puller whose five children were sleeping inside the room when the fire erupted. All the five children died on the spot," he said.
According to police, the rickshaw-puller and his wife were sleeping in another room when the fire broke out. The two managed to get out with the help of locals who started rescue operations before fire-fighting officials and police could reach the spot.
"Preliminary investigations indicate the fire was caused either by a candle or an earthen lamp that was lit in the room where the five siblings were sleeping," said Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof