Fire in house in UP kills five siblings, all minors
Aligarh (Uttar Padesh): Five children of a rickshaw-puller, all aged between 12 and 14, were burnt to death here when a fire broke out in their house while they were sleeping, police said Saturday.
The incident took place late Friday in Pala Sahibabad area of Aligarh, some 300 km from state capital Lucknow, when the house with a thatched roof caught fire.
"Those killed in the fire include four boys and a girl - all aged between 12 and 14 years," Superintendent of Police (City) Maan Singh said on phone from Aligarh.
"The small house belonged to a rickshaw-puller whose five children were sleeping inside the room when the fire erupted. All the five children died on the spot," he said.
According to police, the rickshaw-puller and his wife were sleeping in another room when the fire broke out. The two managed to get out with the help of locals who started rescue operations before fire-fighting officials and police could reach the spot.
"Preliminary investigations indicate the fire was caused either by a candle or an earthen lamp that was lit in the room where the five siblings were sleeping," said Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday