Fire spreads through 20 villages, six killed
Lucknow: Six people, including two children, were killed and about 100 hutments gutted in a fire that spread to over 20 adjoining villages in Lakhimpur Kheri district of Uttar Pradesh, police said on Monday.
The fire is suspected to have broken out Sunday night in Mohammadi and later spread to other villages due to strong winds. Lakhimpur Kheri is around 150 km from Lucknow. Three people were also injured.
"It`s difficult to tell from which village the fire spread. However, it is believed that the incident took place after some agricultural waste was burnt in open fields in Mohammadi," Sub Divisional Magistrate Anand Kumar told reporters on Monday.
"While two elderly women, two children and two men died in the incident, three people received multiple burns. They are being treated in a hospital," he added.
According to officials, the blaze has been doused completely.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey