Fire spreads through 20 villages, six killed
Lucknow: Six people, including two children, were killed and about 100 hutments gutted in a fire that spread to over 20 adjoining villages in Lakhimpur Kheri district of Uttar Pradesh, police said on Monday.
The fire is suspected to have broken out Sunday night in Mohammadi and later spread to other villages due to strong winds. Lakhimpur Kheri is around 150 km from Lucknow. Three people were also injured.
"It`s difficult to tell from which village the fire spread. However, it is believed that the incident took place after some agricultural waste was burnt in open fields in Mohammadi," Sub Divisional Magistrate Anand Kumar told reporters on Monday.
"While two elderly women, two children and two men died in the incident, three people received multiple burns. They are being treated in a hospital," he added.
According to officials, the blaze has been doused completely.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- US, UN condemn Syria hospital bombing in war-ravaged Aleppo
- F-16 to boost precision strike capability in anti-terror operations: Pakistan
- UN Security Council readies North Korea missile test reply
- US Vice President Joe Biden on surprise visit to Iraq
- Panama papers scandal: Russia to join global fight against tax evasion