Fire spreads through 20 villages, six killed
Lucknow: Six people, including two children, were killed and about 100 hutments gutted in a fire that spread to over 20 adjoining villages in Lakhimpur Kheri district of Uttar Pradesh, police said on Monday.
The fire is suspected to have broken out Sunday night in Mohammadi and later spread to other villages due to strong winds. Lakhimpur Kheri is around 150 km from Lucknow. Three people were also injured.
"It`s difficult to tell from which village the fire spread. However, it is believed that the incident took place after some agricultural waste was burnt in open fields in Mohammadi," Sub Divisional Magistrate Anand Kumar told reporters on Monday.
"While two elderly women, two children and two men died in the incident, three people received multiple burns. They are being treated in a hospital," he added.
According to officials, the blaze has been doused completely.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore