First death in Jhansi chimney mishap, one still missing
Lucknow: The body of a labourer was dug out Wednesday from the debris of the chimney collapse in Jhansi district of Uttar Pradesh, confirming the first death in the accident that occurred two days ago.
"The body was taken out of the rubble early today (Wednesday). A person is still missing and could be trapped in the debris," Inspector Satyadev Singh told reporters Wednesday in Jhansi, some 300 km from Lucknow.
"The body taken out of the debris has been identified as that of Mewalal (48). With the assistance of army officials, efforts are on to clear the debris," he added.
Earlier, at least six people were injured, two of them seriously, when the 210 metre chimney at a thermal power station collapsed.
On Tuesday, the Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL) registered a first information report (FIR) against a state-run agency in connection with the collapse of the chimney at the 500 MW thermal power station
"For negligence and use of sub-standard material in construction of the chimney, we have registered an FIR against National Building Construction Corporation (NBCC), the agency that was engaged for setting up the chimney," UPPCL chairman Navneet Sehgal had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on