First death in Jhansi chimney mishap, one still missing
Lucknow: The body of a labourer was dug out Wednesday from the debris of the chimney collapse in Jhansi district of Uttar Pradesh, confirming the first death in the accident that occurred two days ago.
"The body was taken out of the rubble early today (Wednesday). A person is still missing and could be trapped in the debris," Inspector Satyadev Singh told reporters Wednesday in Jhansi, some 300 km from Lucknow.
"The body taken out of the debris has been identified as that of Mewalal (48). With the assistance of army officials, efforts are on to clear the debris," he added.
Earlier, at least six people were injured, two of them seriously, when the 210 metre chimney at a thermal power station collapsed.
On Tuesday, the Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL) registered a first information report (FIR) against a state-run agency in connection with the collapse of the chimney at the 500 MW thermal power station
"For negligence and use of sub-standard material in construction of the chimney, we have registered an FIR against National Building Construction Corporation (NBCC), the agency that was engaged for setting up the chimney," UPPCL chairman Navneet Sehgal had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days