First death in Jhansi chimney mishap, one still missing
Lucknow: The body of a labourer was dug out Wednesday from the debris of the chimney collapse in Jhansi district of Uttar Pradesh, confirming the first death in the accident that occurred two days ago.
"The body was taken out of the rubble early today (Wednesday). A person is still missing and could be trapped in the debris," Inspector Satyadev Singh told reporters Wednesday in Jhansi, some 300 km from Lucknow.
"The body taken out of the debris has been identified as that of Mewalal (48). With the assistance of army officials, efforts are on to clear the debris," he added.
Earlier, at least six people were injured, two of them seriously, when the 210 metre chimney at a thermal power station collapsed.
On Tuesday, the Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL) registered a first information report (FIR) against a state-run agency in connection with the collapse of the chimney at the 500 MW thermal power station
"For negligence and use of sub-standard material in construction of the chimney, we have registered an FIR against National Building Construction Corporation (NBCC), the agency that was engaged for setting up the chimney," UPPCL chairman Navneet Sehgal had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day