Five doctors arrested for conducting sex determination test
Kanpur: Eight persons, including five doctors were on Saturday arrested for allegedly conducting sex determination tests on pregnant women, police said here.
Five doctors from various hospitals in the city, two nurses and one ward boy were arrested following raids conducted by the police, SSP Yashasvi Yadav said.
The arrests were done following a sting operation by a NGO which was shown to city DM M P Aggarwal who ordered the arrests, Yadav said.
In the video clip the doctors were seen asking Rs 2,000 to Rs 10,000 for the sex determination test, he said.
A case under relevant sections of IPC and PCPNDT Act has been registered against the accused, he said.
District and health authorities has started the proceedings to get their sonography licences and hospital licences cancelled, he said.
Medical Council of India is also being informed so that it can take the required action against the accused, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees